Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Dad

My Dad
I'm sure that most girls feel this way about their Dad. There's something about little girls and their Daddy's. We fall in love and our Dad is our hero from the moment we're born. Our Dads are larger than life, and there's nothing they can't do. In my mind my Daddy could kill a bear w/ nothing but his own two hands if he had to. lol
When I was baby I fell asleep every night on my Daddy's chest. I didn't even have a pacifier, instead I sucked on the end of his pinkie finger. At the age of 2 he would take me up the deer stand w/ him and let me sleep on the floor until it was time to wake up, and then he'd let me sit on his lap while he hunt. And of course afterwards I always got to take pictures posing w/ the days "kill". He didn't give me a hard time when I was 8 and begged him to let me shoot the next coyote we caught in a trap. B/C when I held the pistol in my hands at point blank range I just couldn't do it. He taught me early on that you always respected what you were hunting, and that shooting animals just to shoot wasn't right. That a real hunter only hunted for a useful purpose.
My Daddy has always been there to rescue me. When I was a little girl there was a stray cat that mysteriously disappeared after my Dad caught it attacking me. He was there to save me the day I was attacked by a ram in our horse pasture. (Those were the only 2 times I was ever attacked by animals, I swear) When it came to the big stuff he taught me how to take care of most things on my own. But when circumstances arose that I just couldn't take care of myself, Dad was there to fix it. And he never got on to me for getting into the situation. He just told me how proud he was to have a daughter that was strong enough to get out when it was time to leave.
Don't get me wrong. My Dad's not perfect and we've been known to butt heads every so often. There have been times in my life that I wanted nothing more than to pinch his head off and throw it down on the ground so I could stomp it into a little bloody pulp. My mother says that out of all 4 children, 3 boys and me, that I'm the one most like my father. We're both headstrong and stubborn, we always think we're right, and the day God was handing out tact we both said no thanks for fear that it was something sharp that we might accidentally sit on.
But at 29 years old my Daddy is still my hero, my knight in shining armor, my own personal John McClain.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is so sweet, Amanda! I love reading what you write :)
    I feel the same way about my daddy... nothing could stop him from taking care of me. How blessed we are!

    ReplyDelete